Level 1 Pistol Self Defense Course
Whether you’re an individual, on a church safety team, in law enforcement, or the military our Pistol Self Defense Courses are the perfect way to improve your shooting and defensive skills. The Level 1 Pistol Self Defense Course includes our Shooting Fundamentals and How to Draw & Perform Reloads classes.
This is not your standard’ Learn to Shoot’ course that goes over the same old boring techniques that have been taught for years. Instead, we explain, demo, and teach cutting-edge shooting systems used by some of the top competitive shooters in the world. Even if you’re an experienced pistol shooter, come to the course with an open mind, and we will improve your shooting performance. There is a 100% guarantee if you don’t learn new, valuable skills from the course it’s on us.
If you have family, friends, or anyone else who may rely on your shooting skills, put this course at the top of your list. We work on proper stance, grip, presentation, sighting, trigger press, drawing from a holster, draws from concealment and reloads. Once you have the fundamental skills down, our Level 2 and 3 Self Defense Classes expand on defensive pistol techniques using these fundamentals. The Level 2 course covers dealing with malfunctions, shooting with your strong and weak hand only, and shooting multiple targets fast and accurately. Since self defense situations don’t happen while you’re on a static range at 5 yards with bullseye targets in the Level 3 course all of the previous techniques are put to the test. We go over how to shoot on the move and introduce shooting from unorthodox shooting positions.
Independence Firearms and Training Range at 305 Circle Dr, Cord, AR 72524
Our facility is very close to the town of Cord. By the 3-way stop off Hwy 25 where the Country Crossroad convenience store is located, it’s about a quarter-mile west of the junction. From Hwy 25 (White Dr), turn onto Circle Drive until you see our sign on the north side of the road. Enter through the red gate and follow the gravel road until you see another sign for the Range and Classes.
The Pistol Self Defense Course will start in the classroom. Go through the cattle guard inside the fence and park on the gravel near the carport. Go to the back of the house down the rock path to the west of the carport. You’ll enter the classroom from the walkout basement. You may bring your gear, gun, and ammo inside, but all firearms must be unloaded and checked at the door. We do not allow live ammo in the classroom and will be happy to store it in our locked gun room for you.
This class is open to everyone from beginners who have never shot a pistol to experienced shooters. The course is structured to be beginner-friendly while challenging the best shooters to improve their shooting fundamentals.
- Semi-auto Handgun
- 200-250 Rounds of ammunition
- *Optional low round count option with only 100-150 Rounds of ammunition
- Enough magazines to have 15 rounds of ammunition loaded at one time (30-45 rounds loaded is preferred)
- A holster and 1-2 mag pouches are required (no Blackhawk Serpa Holsters). If you do not have a holster or mag pouches, contact us. If we have a holster for your gun, we’ll let you borrow it. Otherwise, a holster and mag pouches are provided with all our rental packages.
- Sack Lunch or Country Crossroads does have lunch items & is close to the range
- Eye and ear protection
- Hydration and snacks
*If you don’t have a handgun yet, we have you covered with a rental package. Call us for rental options 870-614-8452.
- Firearms Safety and Safe Gun Handling
- Handgun Selection, Inspection, Maintenance, and Storage
- Range Etiquette, Safety, and Rules
- Shooting a Handgun Basics: Grip, Sight Alignment, Trigger Control, and Stance
- Types of Malfunctions
- Common Firearm Terminology
- Strong Side vs Appendix Carry
- Holster Options and Best Choices
- Steps to Safely Draw the Handgun
- How to Reholster Your Handgun
- Types of Handgun Reloads
- How to Properly Reload Your Pistol
- Your First Shots
- Improve Fundamental Shooting Techniques
- Become Comfortable with Your Gun
- Class Shooting Drills
- Draw Steps Breakdown and Practice Dry Fire
- Draw Practice Live Fire
- Reload Steps Breakdown and Practice
- Measure Improvement for Draws and Reloads
Weather and the Class:
We will have the class regardless of the weather on class day. We are inside for the classroom 3 hours and are on the range for 4 hours. Dress appropriately for the weather (hot or cold), but there is a covered area to shoot from on the range if there’s rain
Upcoming Pistol and Self-Defense Classes